2nd MAW Flying Diamond (Subdued)

2nd Marine Aircraft Wing — the "Flying Diamond" · USMC · 1941-present

2nd MAW Flying Diamond (Subdued) patch

Commissioned at San Diego on 10 July 1941 and headquartered at MCAS Cherry Point since April 1946, the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing carries the diamond-shaped shoulder insignia the Corps adopted for its aircraft wings in World War II: the Eagle, Globe and Anchor flanked by aviator's wings above the Roman numeral II. The Wing's squadrons fought through 83 South Pacific operations — Wake Island, Midway, Guadalcanal, Saipan, Tinian, Guam and Okinawa, where they downed 484½ aircraft and made 21 new Marine aces — and returned to combat over Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan, flying more than 7,800 sorties in 2003 alone. This subdued green variant, embroidered for flight jackets and utilities rather than dress blues, was gifted to SSgt Sally by a 2nd MAW pilot in thanks for assistance — the quiet currency of aviation, passed hand to hand on the flight line.